Sunset Hills and College Park are contiguous neighborhoods west of downtown. Sunset Hills, the larger of the two neighborhoods, straddles the north and south sides of West Market Street, while College Park is located entirely south of it. The neighborhoods encompass the area between Benjamin Parkway to the North and Spring Garden Street to the south, Aycock Street to the east and South Elam Avenue and Wendover Avenue to the west.
Both areas grew independently in response to the presence of the state-run Women’s College (now UNCG). College Park was part of an effort by local businessman and developer John Van Lindley to infill the area between the college and the Pomona industrial area to the west. In 1902 a streetcar line was built linking the east and west parts of the city via Spring Garden Street, enhancing the residential desirability of the area. The College Park subdivision was established in the mid-1920s, and construction followed soon afterwards. Platted in 1925 by the local A.K. Moore Company, Sunset Hills experienced a building boom in the late 1920s and 1930s.
The landscape of the Sunset Hills/College Park area displays design elements seen in Greensboro’s earliest planned park suburbs, Fisher Park and Irving Park. Designed to integrate natural topography, these neighborhoods display curving street patterns, parks and green spaces, and water features.
Tudor and Colonial Revival are the favored styles of architecture in Sunset Hills and College Park. Brick and stone veneers are common. Less formal, frame Foursquares and bungalows are also present, but to a lesser extent.
Sunset Hills and College Park retain a high degree of physical integrity in terms of both landscape and architecture. … Houses are in good to excellent condition and retain much original material and detail.
— City of Greensboro, Historic Architecture Survey Update, Phase 1-A, September 2007