Lindley Park is in west Greensboro, bounded by West Market Street to the north, South Elam Avenue to the east, Oakland Avenue to the south and Holden Road to the west.
Local entrepreneur John Van Lindley was responsible for the development of Lindley Park. He owned or was involved with a variety of commercial and industrial enterprises in west Greensboro. These businesses were reliant upon the North Carolina Railroad line that paralleled Oakland Avenue. Around 1900, Lindley donated land for an amusement park to the Greensboro Electric Company (the park’s stone entry gates remain standing at Lindley Park and Spring Garden Street). The electric company built a streetcar line to the park, and housing construction in the area soon followed. The amusement park was closed around 1920, but the streetcar line remained to serve the area’s growing population. Lindley donated forty acres west of the former amusement park to the city with the stipulation that the land be turned into a civic park. Charlotte landscape architect Earle Sumner Draper was hired to design the park as well as the Lindley Park neighborhood that would surround it.
Lindley Park is a neighborhood of modestly sized houses on small lots. Its landscape, designed by noted landscape architect Earl Sumner Draper, is an essential component of the neighborhood. The gridded street layout in the eastern half of the neighborhood has streets running north-south and east-west and intersecting at right angles. Curvilinear street patterns, owing to topography and the land’s original use as an amusement park, characterize Lindley Park’s west side. Two large parks, centered on creeks, span the west end of the neighborhood from north to south. Wendover Avenue passes through the midpoint of the larger of the two parks as it bisects the neighborhood from the northeast to southwest corners. The neighborhood’s park-like setting is further enhanced by the presence of sidewalks and mature trees. The 1928 J. Van Lindley Elementary School is located on the north side of the 2700 block of Camden Road.
Within Lindley Park are Minimal Traditional, Craftsman and restrained Colonial Revival houses as well as Period Cottages constructed of brick and stone. These property types date from the first wave of building, the 1920s and 1930s. They are good representative samples of popular architecture of the period … A significant number of very simple one-story, brick ranch houses dating from the 1950s and 1960s are also present, as well as more modern infill houses. The earliest dwellings, dating from just after 1900, are found in the south part of the neighborhood between Oakland Avenue and Spring Garden Street. Except in small clusters, these early dwellings do not survive en masse owing to their location along busy thoroughfares in a largely commercial/industrial area north of the railroad tracks.
Overall, the neighborhood displays a good degree of integrity of street layout and urban design. The housing stock is less pristine. Some of the historic houses have been altered by modernization, such as window replacements and porch alterations, but these changes do not overwhelm the character of the neighborhood.
— City of Greensboro, Historic Architecture Survey Update, Phase 1-A, September 2007