Hamilton Lakes is located in west Greensboro. It is bounded on the north by West Friendly Avenue, on the west and south by Henderson Road and by East Kemp Road to the east, encompassing eighteen blocks.
Hamilton Lakes was incorporated as a discreet town in the mid-1920s by Alfred M. Scales, a developer of Irving Park, who named himself mayor. In addition to lots and streets, a golf course and two lakes, Hamilton Lake and Lake Euphemia were also part of Scales’ plan for the community but only a handful of houses were built during Scales’ era of development. Hamilton Lakes’ hundreds of acres were sold to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Benjamin after World War II, who would go on to develop neighboring Starmount. Hamilton Lakes was incorporated into the City of Greensboro in 1957.
Hamilton Lakes is laid out on curvilinear streets which line Hamilton Lake and Lake Euphemia. Only ten properties in the neighborhood were built prior to 1965 … The most significant structure in Hamilton Lakes is the massive Neoclassical Revival-style house Scales built for himself at 1207 Lakewood Avenue. The majority of houses in Hamilton Lakes are substantial in size, stately in design and set well back from the road on large wooded lots. The exception to this is the northwestern corner of the neighborhood near the intersection of West Friendly Avenue and Muirs Chapel Road, where the houses are smaller and without stylistic association.
— from City of Greensboro, Historic Architecture Survey Update, Phase 1-B, August 2008