West of Downtown

Updated April 16, 2020

Westerwood, Sunset Hills, Lindley Park, Starmount Forest and Hamilton Lakes form a string of 1920s and ’30s neighborhoods stretching west from downtown along Market Street and Friendly Avenue.

Westerwood and West Market Terrace | Lindley Park | Sunset Hills and College Park | Starmount Forest | Hamilton Lakes

Recent Sales

Click here for Mid-Century Modern listings

3303 Kettering Place
listing withdrawn August 22, 2019
relisted November 14, 2019

  • $960,000 (originally listed at $1.175 million)
  • 4 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 6,277 square feet, 0.79 acre
  • Price/square foot: $153
  • Built in 1985
  • Listed March 20, 2019
  • Last sale: $1,054,000, January 2007
  • Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
  • Listing: Built by Bea Melton, who built a number of Mid-Century Modern homes in the Triad.
104 kemp road west.jpg

104 Kemp Road West
The Harry Barton House
Blog post — 104 Kemp Road West — Harry Barton’s Own House (August 2, 2020)
Blog post — The 1925 Harry Barton House in Hamilton Lakes, $1.65 million 
(June 28, 2019)

contract pending October 28, 2020
no longer under contract November 13, 2020

  • $925,000 (originally $1.65 million)
  • 4 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 4,027 square feet, 0.65 acre
  • Price/square foot: $230
  • Built in 1925
  • Listed April 23, 2019
  • Last sale: $105,000, June 1976
  • Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
  • Note: The house was designed by Harry Barton as his own residence.
    • The property is on Benjamin Lake.
    • A separate gym with a steam shower and hot tub overlooks the lake.
    • Italian tile roof
    • County property records show the house being bigger than the listing says it is — 4,027 square feet vs. 3,464.

117 W. Keeling Road
The Thomas Edgar Sikes Jr. House

  • $649,900 (originally $720,000)
  • 3 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 2,244 square feet, 0.44 acre
  • Price/square foot: $227
  • Built in 1958
  • Listed January 12, 2021
  • Last sale: $295,000, February 2020
  • Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
  • Note: Designed by Jaroslav Jan Kabatnik (1907-1995), who worked with Edward Lowenstein and later with Edward Gulledge, the builder of 117 W. Keeling. Born in Bohemia, Jaroslav is said to have been a member of the Czech Olympic team in the 1936 Olympics. He also served with the Czech army in World War II. After the Communist coup in 1948, he ended up in a refugee camp and then set out for Morocco, France, Chicago and, by 1953, Greensboro.
    • From 1932-1954, the property was owned by Charles Gillespie Yates, a vice president of Vicks Chemical Company and, during World War II, city civilian defense coordinator for Greensboro. He apparently didn’t build on it.
    • Dr. Thomas Edgar Sikes Jr. (1925-2015) and his wife Betty Gale Edwards Sikes (1926-2018) bought the land in 1954 and built the house four years later. Edgar and Betty Gale were married for 66 years. The house was sold by their children in 2020.
    • Edgar was an oral surgeon (his father was a dentist); he practiced in Greensboro for 40 years. He also served as head of dental services at Wesley Long and Moses Cone hospitals and taught pathology and anatomy at Guilford Technical and Community College. His obituary said he sang in the choir at West Market St United Methodist Church for 60 years, served as chairman of the Guilford County Board of Health and volunteered in the Department of Archives at the Greensboro History Museum. He also served as museum president.
    • Betty Gale was a charter member of the Greensboro History Museum Guild, served on the Board of Trustees and as a docent for 35 years. She died at the age of 92. Her survivors included her step-mother-in-law, Mary Ann Mitchell Sikes, who was born the same year she was (and died two years later). They were both a year younger than Edgar.
    • For more on the house, see https://www.117keelingw.com/.
    • What it looked like when it was sold in 2020:

1821 Rolling Road
The Huffine-Bingham House
contract pending April 1, 2021

  • $650,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,120 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $208
  • Built in 1927
  • Listed March 31, 2012
  • Last sale: $525,000, April 2017
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills Historic District
  • Note: Ernest and Rose Huffine bought the property in 1926. He was a salesman for Morris & Co., a wholesale meat company. They owned it until 1935.
    • Alvin and Virgie Bingham bought the house in 1957 and owned it for 56 years. He was an engineer with Newman Machinery on Spring Garden Street.
    • District NRHP nomination: “The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled,brick Period Cottage displays two front gables of different heights and exposed rafter tails on the facade. The larger, western gable crowns the multi-light and paneled wood door and three, grouped, six-over-one windows, both of which are sheltered by a hip-roofed porch supported by decorative, scrolled metal posts. A three-part picture window composed of a twelve-over-one window flanked by six-over-one windows pierces the east side of the façade and sits below the smaller gable. Windows throughout are six-over-one and crowned by soldier-course lintels. An exterior, brick chimney rises from the east elevation, forward of the roof ridge. A gabled brick ell extends from the rear.”

1808 Madison Avenue
The Edna and Pleas M. Sawyer House

  • $630,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 2,524 square feet (per county)
  • Price/square foot: $250
  • Built in 1930
  • Listed January 30, 2021
  • Last sale: $300,000, February 2013
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills
  • Note: For sale by owner
    • District NRHP nomination: “The two-story, three-bay, side-gabled, weatherboard Colonial Revival-style house features a front-gabled portico supported by Tuscan columns and graced by triglyphs along its frieze. It shelters a multi-light and paneled wood door. Four-over-four casement windows and six-over-six double-hung sash illuminate the interior. An eyebrow dormer rests on the front roof slope. A brick chimney occupies the east gable end of the main block where it intersects with a two-story, side-gabled wing that contains a sun porch on its first level. The 1936 city directory lists Mr. Sawyer as an agent in charge at the Internal Revenue Office.”
    • The Sawyers owned the house from 1934 to 1964.

308 Woodlawn Avenue
The Lyon-Farrell House
listing withdrawn March 9, 2021

  • $575,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 2,714 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $212
  • Built in 1921
  • Listed January 21, 2021
  • Last sale: $220,000 on December 1, 2020
  • Neighborhood: Westerwood
  • Note: The house is being renovated and almost doubled in size. It previously had 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1,480 square feet. Completion is scheduled for June.
    • The first owners of the house appear to have been J.T. and Mary Lyons, who bought it in 1922. He was a traveling salesman. They sold the home in 1926 to Charles and Anne Farrell, photographers and owners of The Art Shop, then located on the second floor at 101 1/2 W. Market Street. The house remained in the Farrell family until 1983. Click here for more about the Farrell family.

1710 W. Market Street
The Ruth and Dr. J. Henry Boyles House
contract pending March 25, 2021

  • $555,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 3,367 square feet, 0.39 acre
  • Price/square foot: $165
  • Built in 1935
  • Listed Monday March 15, 2021
  • Last sale: $503,000, January 2020
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills
  • Note: Dr. Boyles (1873-1939) served in the U.S. Army medical corps in Cuba during the the Spanish-American War and, at age 43, in France during World War I. He maintained an office downtown and was on the staff of Piedmont Hospital. He died of lymphoma at age 65.
    • Ruth (1880-1964) was 58 when Henry died and never remarried. She sold the house in 1939 and lived to be 83.
    • The house was owned by the Asheboro Street Baptist Church from 1959-67 and Friendly Road Baptist Church from 1967-99.
    • District NRHP nomination: “The two-story, three-bay, truncated hip-roofed, brick Colonial Revival-style house displays modillion blocks along its soffit. A hip-roofed entry porch with modillion blocks and dentils on its cornice is supported with paired slender Tuscan columns and shelters a multi-light door with sidelights. Windows are primarily paired and single six-over-six replacement sash; first floor windows are topped by soldier-course lintels.
    • “An exterior brick chimney occupies the east elevation and protrudes through the roof of a one-story, three-bay, hip-roofed, wood sun porch with modillion blocks and a dentiled cornice. Fluted pilasters with plain caps separate four-over-four windows with two-light transoms and flank the multi-light, centered door topped with a three-light transom.
    • “A small, one-bay, side-gabled hyphen connects the house to a one-story, front-gabled,brick, two-bay, brick garage with modillion blocks and a small, octagonal, multi-light window near top of the façade. A pyramidal-roofed cupola rests on the roof ridge and a front-gabled brick dormer with modillion blocks rests on the west roof slope.
    • “The Boyles family bought the property in March 1935 and first appears at this address in the 1938 city directory.”

319 S. Chapman Street
The Minnie and Joseph Warren House
contract pending April 15, 2021

  • $439,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,122 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $207
  • Built in 1926 (see note below)
  • Listed April 13, 2021
  • Last sale: $395,000, March 2020
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills
  • Note: The neighborhood’s NRHP nomination dates the house to 1927. County records say 1938
    • District NRHP nomination: “The one-story, three-bay, side-gabled Colonial Revival-style house displays a full-width, shed-roofed porch topped with an eyebrow gable with returns and supported by single and paired Tuscan columns.The Craftsman-style door is paneled and glazed. Concrete steps are flanked by metal railings. Windows are six-over-one. A pair of small louvered eyebrow dormers with wood keystones rest on the front roof slope. A brick chimney rises from the north elevation, while an addition extends from the rear elevation. The Warrens bought the property in August 1926 and first appear at this address in the 1927 city directory. He was manager of the National Biscuit Company. They sold the house in 1945.”
    • How the house looked when it was sold in 2020:

4105 Walker Avenue
The Matthew and Ila Banner House

  • $429,900
  • 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,906 square feet, 0.74 acre
  • Price/square foot: $148
  • Built in 1937
  • Listed: “This home will be listed on Apr 24”
  • Last sale: $350,000, August 2017
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Notes: The Banners built the house and owned it for 47 years, buying the property in 1936 and selling it 1983. They were married for 60 years. Matthew Ray Banner Sr. (1885-1967) was a partner in the Banner-Trulove Company, wholesale grocers. Sons M.R. Banner Jr. (1908-1998) and William Powell Banner (1912-1986) joined the company and after his death continued to operate it. Ila (1885-1986) sold the house three years before she died at the age of 101.
2405 sylvan road.jpg

2405 Sylvan Road
listing expired January 1, 2020; relisted March 10, 2020
contract pending August 29 to September 23, 2020
listing withdrawn September 23, 2020
relisted November 13, 2020

  • $416,000 (originally $420,000, later $424,000)
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,780 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $234
  • Built in 1938
  • Listed August 29, 2019
  • Last sale: $90,000, April 1991
  • Neighborhood: Sunset Hills
  • Note: For sale by owner

1614 West End Place
The Luther and Martha Schenck House
contract pending April 11, 2021

  • $315,000
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,809 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $174
  • Built in 1941
  • Listed April 8, 2021
  • Last sale: $154,000, September 2019
  • Neighborhood: College Park
  • Note: Luther Virgil Schenck (1901-1938) and Martha Virginia Dreher Schenck (1901-1988) bought the property in 1925 and owned it for 41 years. Luther was an employee of the Vicks Chemical Company and later president of Triangle Producing Company, which sold theatrical supplies and/or produced plays (descriptions in the city directories are inconsistent). After Luther’s early death from leukemia, Martha continued running the company until 1940. She remained in the house until she sold it in 1966.
    • This may be the second house to be built at this address. The address first appears in the 1927 city directory, with the Schencks listed as occupants. County property records, though, show the date of the house as 1941. Judging from the design of the house, 1941 seems more likely.

2605 Springwood Drive
The Winifred and James Willard House
contract pending March 10, 2021
no longer under contract April 6, 2021

  • $315,000 (originally $360,000)
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,258 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $140
  • Built in 1923
  • Listed February 9, 2021
  • Last sale: $214,500, August 2001
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Note: When the house actually was built is unclear; the address first appears in the city directory in 1928. The property changed hands six times between 1924 and 1927, the last three times in a two-week period in March 1927, when it was finally bought by Winifred R. Willard (1896-1949). She owned the house until her death 22 years later. Although the name of her husband, James, appears on mortgage documents, her name alone was on the deed. James Adolphus Willard (1872-1944) operated the J.A. Willard Company, machinists.

418 Scott Avenue
The Avery-Russell House
contract pending April 12, 2021

  • $310,000
  • 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,417 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $128
  • Built in 1939
  • Listed March 31, 2021
  • Last sale: $125,000, May 2008
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Listing: “Seller will start reviewing offers on Monday April 5th at noon.”
    • The original owner was Thomas Settle Avery (1909-1995), an employee of Odell Hardware, who bought the house in 1941 and owned it for six years.
    • Donald and Virginia Russell bought the house in 1955. The deed was transferred to Virginia’s sole ownership in 1975; she didn’t sell the house until 2008.
    • Don Russell came to the Women’s College in 1955 and ultimately served as dean of the School of Education before retiring in 1988.
    • He recalled in a UNCG oral history interview how he came to Greensboro: “… coming back out of the service, I finished up my doctorate at Boston University, then went to the University of Hartford [Connecticut] for five years as dean. Then, as a result of itchy feet and wanting to get out of administrivia, enter the classroom and so forth, was asked about the possibility of moving to what was then WC [Woman’s College]. And I had no idea of doing this. And then I was asked, ‘Well, please come down during the spring holidays and visit us.’ So I did come down for that interview, and Greensboro being dogwood city, I was overwhelmed. My wife took one look and we agreed: this is not quite the Garden of Eden, but dogwoods were in bloom and that did it, along with the magnetism of Curry School [campus laboratory school], which was then pretty much at its peak as a very ideal place for our three youngsters.”
5303 w. friendly avenue.png

5303 W. Friendly Avenue

  • $303,900 (originally listed at $310,000)
  • 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,212 square feet, 0.52 acres
  • Price/square foot: $138
  • Built in 1920
  • Listed November 7, 2020
  • Last sale: $179,900 on November 5, 2018
  • Neighborhood: Hamilton Lakes
  • Note: The property includes a tennis court.
    • Vinyl siding

105 Adams Street

  • $299,900
  • 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,868 square feet
  • Price/square foot: S161
  • Built in 1895
  • Listed March 25, 2021
  • Last sale: $147,500, March 2019
  • Neighborhood: Westerwood (sort of)
  • Note: Vinyl siding

2024 Walker Avenue
contract pending March 16, 2021
The William and Dorothy Simpson House

  • $249,900
  • 3 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms, 1,389 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $180
  • Built in 1925
  • Listed March 12, 2021
  • Last sale: $21,500, September 1985 (foreclosure)
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Note: The address first appears in the city directory in 1928, with William and Dorothy Simpson as the residents. He was an examiner for McAlister, Vaughan and Scales, an insurance brokerage. They lost the house to foreclosure in 1932.

3008 Collier Drive
The Lahser-Strange House
contract pending April 15, 2021

  • $230,000
  • 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,407 (per county) square feet, 0.3 acre
  • Price/square foot: $163
  • Built in 1939
  • Listed April 2, 2021
  • Last sale: $172,500, November 2016
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Note: The street first appeared in the city directory in 1940 (as Collier’s Drive). Ten of the 11 addresses were listed as vacant. The initial owner of 3008, Glenn Summers, bought the property in 1940 and sold it in 1941. His name never appeared in the Greensboro city directory.
  • Dr. Conrad B. Lahser (1872-1944), a native of Germany and music professor at Greensboro College, bought the house from Summers. His sons sold the house in 1945 to William C. Strange (1909-1991), an IRS agent. Strange and his wife, Beulah (1906-1990), owned the house for 45 years, selling it in 1990.

2411 Wright Avenue
contract pending April 6, 2021
no longer under contract April 14, 2021

  • $229,000 (originally $245,000)
  • 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,016 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $225
  • Built in 1932
  • Listed March 18, 2021
  • Last sale: $165,000, August 2011
  • Neighborhood: Lindley Park
  • Note: The property is located on the single-block, disconnected section of Wright Avenue west of South Elam Street.

1331 W. Friendly Avenue
The Adlai and Lillian Hudson House
contract pending April 9, 2021

  • $200,000
  • Duplex: one unit with 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, one unit with two bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,739 square feet
  • Price/square foot: $115
  • Built in 1921
  • Listed April 9, 2021
  • Last sale: $117,000, January 2004
  • Neighborhood: West Market Terrace
  • Note: Aluminum and vinyl siding
    • The original owners were Adlai Cleveland Hudson (1892-1945) and Lillian Mangum Hudson (1892-1996). Adlai was assistant county auditor and partnered with his wife in the firm of Hudson & Hudson, later A.C. Hudson & Co., a letter shop. When Lillian died at the age of 103, she was the oldest member of First Baptist Church. They owned the house for 57 years, from 1921 to 1978.
    • The house was owned by the Catholic Church from 1990-2004.
    • When the house was built and for many years after, the address was 1331 Madison Avenue.