Update May 30, 2020
The run-down, falling down and down on their luck — these classic houses require varying degrees of renovation, some extensive.
1008 Haywood Street
listing withdrawn March 4 to December 30, 2018
listing withdrawn November 5, 2019
relisted March 13, 2020
- $224,999 (originally $499,000, last listed price was $309,998)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,604 square feet
- Price/square foot: $140
- Built in 1905
- Listed November 25, 2017
- Last sale: $65,000, November 1998
- Neighborhood: Glenwood
- Note: For sale by owner
- Zillow listing says the house is 1,804 square feet; county tax records say 1,604.
- Even reduced by more than 60 percent from the original price, it’s still around twice what you would expect to pay for a house in Glenwood that needs work.
2017 Neelley Way, Pleasant Garden
contract pending as of February 14, 2020
- $199,900 (originally $269,900)
- 10 bedrooms, 5 1/2 bathrooms, 7,617 square feet, 3.91 acres
- Price/square foot: $26
- Built in 1912
- Listed February 7, 2019
- Last sale: $292,000, October 2018
- Note: The house is in very poor condition and is being sold as-is.
- County tax records show the house being 7,617 square feet; the listing shows 5,882.
- Offers must be submitted through RESNET.
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,416 square feet, 3.76 acres
- Price/square foot: $120
- Built in 1903
- Listed August 29, 2019
- Last sale: $5,500, December 1982
- Neighborhood: Summit Hills
- Listing: “House is sold AS IS and will not qualify for FHA/Va loans.”
- No heating or cooling systems
- No photos or description of the interior
- The property appears to be priced for development, as $120/square foot is a very high price for a house in this condition, even with the acreage. The listing says, “Would be a great property to develop.”
- 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 2,519 square feet
- Price/square foot: $62
- Built around 1922 (per multiple sources) or possibly in 1940 (per county records); see note below
- Listed May 31, 2020
- Last sale: $120,000, May 2005
- Note: County records date the house to 1940, but city directories show a residence on the property as early as 1922 (a 1920 deed indicates there was no house on the lot). The neighborhood’s National Register nomination dates the home as 1920-25. It accurately describes the house as a Craftsman foursquare and says it was originally built as a duplex. The duplex part is a bit unusual, but city directories support the statement, listing two residences at the home from 1923 and as late as 1968, the last city directory available online.
- Complicating the dating: A 1931 deed of trust suggests there still was no house on the lot. That wording, though, matches wording in the 1920 deed and may have been copied in error with other boilerplate information from the 1920 deed.
- The house was divided later into five apartments (presumably in 1973, the renovation date in the listing).
- No central air conditioning
- The exterior is in rough shape, and no interior pictures are included in the listing. The $62/square foot price suggests the house needs work.
- The house sits on a corner lot, adjoining a parking lot and a vacant lot with another paring lot across the street.
- The fifth unit is in a clumsily built addition at the back (click to enlarge):
8425 W. Harrell Road, Oak Ridge
under contract July 12-23, 2018
listing withdrawn October 28, 2018
relisted September 19, 2019
- 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,496 square feet, 2.33 acres
- Price/square foot: $100
- Built in 1931
- Listed September 6, 2017
- Last sale: 1949, no price available in online records
- Not owner occupied.
Listing: “… maybe a rehab project or full tear down, will need new well and septic.”
Listing includes no pictures of the house (interior or exterior), only an aerial shot of the lot.
716 Knox Road, McLeansville
listing withdrawn November 1, 2019; relisted November 9, 2019
contract pending, April 16, 2020
- $75,900 (originally $119,900)
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 2,043 square feet, 1.92 acres
- Price/square foot: $37
- Built in 1901
- Listed April 18, 2019
- Last sale: $185,000, July 2010
- 4 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 2,205 square feet
- Price/square foot: $31
- Built in 1922
- Listed March 6, 2020
- Last sale: $104,500, December 2019 (foreclosure sale)
- Note: Bank-owned property
- $45,000 (originally $50,000)
- 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom, 1,075 square feet
- Price/square foot: $42
- Built in 1900
- Listed April 30, 2020
- Last sale: $57,500, July 2009
- Neighborhood: Arlington Park
- Note: Rental property