Latham Park is located in north Greensboro. It is roughly bounded by Sunset Drive, Nottingham Road and Latham Road to the north, Church Street to the east, Wendover Avenue to the south and Battleground Avenue to the west, taking in fifteen blocks.
The J.E. Latham Company laid out the Latham Park subdivision in 1925, sandwiched between Irving Park to the north and Fisher Park to the south. The neighborhood is bisected from northeast to southwest by North Buffalo Creek. The area flanking the creek later became a city park, also named Latham Park, because it was too wet to be built upon.
Few buildings were constructed in Latham Park between 1925 and the beginning of the Depression. In the late 1930s building in the area began to increase and the majority of buildings in the neighborhood date from the late 1930s into the 1940s.
The most notable characteristic of Latham Park is its diversity of architectural styles. Craftsman, Cape Cod, Colonial Revival, Period Cottage, Tudor Revival and Minimal Traditional dwellings are all present in Latham Park. The majority of surveyed properties in the neighborhood retain a high degree of integrity. Streets are lined with original granite curbing and planting strips lie between the street and the sidewalk. Many properties have retaining walls along the sidewalk constructed of brick or rough-cut stone.
Present day Latham Park is smaller than the subdivision that was platted in 1925. The southeast corner of the neighborhood, between the park and the intersection of Church Street and Wendover Avenue, has been commercially developed with modern shopping centers, hotels and free-standing retail establishments.
— City of Greensboro, Historic Architecture Survey Update, Phase 1-B, August 2008