Updated April 16, 2021
Irving Park, Latham Park and Kirkwood form a cluster of classic neighborhoods north of Wendover Avenue between Battleground Avenue and Elm Street.
804 Sunset Drive
The Van Wyck Williams House
listing withdrawn July 9, 2011; relisted March 13, 2014
listing withdrawn February 28, 2016; relisted May 20, 2016
listing withdrawn May 31, 2016; relisted August 7, 2017
listing withdrawn May 30, 2019; relisted February 4, 2021
contract pending February 19, 2021
- $1.24 million (originally listed at $1.795 million)
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,470 square feet (per county), 0.49 acre (per county)
- Price/square foot: $357
- Built in 1925
- Listed March 16, 2011
- Last sale: $650,000, August 1992
- Neighborhood: Irving Park Historic District
- District NRHP nomination: “The Williams House is a wonderfully detailed one-and-a-half-story Tudor Revival cottage. It combines Flemish bond brickwork on the first story with stucco and half timbering on the upper story and a steep gabled roof with multi-colored slate shingles of graduated overlap from ridge to eaves. Other notable features include dormers with half-timbered gables, a front porch with timber posts, and a side chimney with highly decorative brickwork.”
- Overlooks the Greensboro Country Club golf course
- Listing: “Matching guest quarters with attached garage includes sitting room, 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths” (750 square feet not included above).
- The address doesn’t appear in the Greensboro city directory until 1929.
- Van Wyck Williams (1886-1962) bought the house from the Irving Park Company in May 1928. He was a traveling salesman. Williams sold the house in August 1934 and then bought it back again five months later, in January 1935. The prices weren’t recorded on the deeds.
- Williams didn’t sell the house again. On his death, he left it to his wife, Sarah Alberta Watkins Williams (1897-1972). She sold the house in 1964 to Charles and Betty Cheek. He was president of Piedmont Financial. The Cheeks sold it to the current owners in 1992.
- $1.049 million
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 3,002 square feet, 0.66 acre
- Price/square foot: $349
- Built in 1924
- Listed July 13, 2020
- Last sale: $550,000, March 2003
- Neighborhood: Irving Park
- Listing: The property includes a detached 1,600 square-foot “guest house/garage/rec room/office” with two bathrooms.
- Also “Moss walkways, Blue Stone patios & Koi Pond.”
- From 1924 to 1930, the property was sold five times. In 1930, it was bought by its first long-term owner, surgeon Richard B. Davis. He owned the house until 1945.
- Hampton Shuping, an executive with J.P. Stevens and his wife, Margaret, owned the house from 1958 to 1982. Stevens may be best remembered today as the bitterly anti-union textile company that served as the villain in the film Norma Rae. Stevens’s resistance to unionization was characterized by The New York Times in 1981 as “one of the ugliest episodes in recent labor history.”