Updated June 22, 2020
- Duplex, total of 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2,163 square feet
- Price/square foot: $245
- Built in 1917
- Listed May 1, 2021
- Last sale: $105,000, November 2018
- Note: The house has been a duplex since at least 1926.
- The house was owned for 60 years, from 1958 to 2018, by Robert Chumbley McCaskey (1927-2018), a draftsman and salesman for Thompson Dental.
- District NRHP nomination: “Gable-end bungalow with engaged porch, triangular knee-braces, front bay, gabled front dormer.”
- 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,442 square feet
- Price/square foot: $186
- Built in 1938
- Listed June 14, 2021
- Last sale: $300,000, May 2013
- Note: Not owner-occupied
- The 1938 date in the county records is either an error or a previous house stood on the property before this one was built in 1938. The design of the house is more typical of the early 1920s than the late ’30s.
- Pharmacist William B. Lyon bought the property in 1922. The address appeared in the city directory for the first time in 1923, when it was listed as vacant. In 1924 Lyon and his wife, Alice C. Lyon, were listed as residents. They sold the house in December 1924 to Minnie and Cornelius Mebane, who lived next door at 711 Simpson. They rented 713 out until selling it in 1935. A succession of later owners continued to use it as a rental property. It had been converted into a duplex by 1962.
921 N. Eugene Street
The Julius and Lila Smith House
- 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, 1,601 square feet
- Price/square foot: $203
- Built in 1928
- Listed June 17, 2021
- Last sale: $212,500, July 2013
- Note: The property first appeared in the city directory in 1923 with the Smiths as residents. They owned the property from 1923 to 1938. Julius Clarence Smith (1889-1968) was a partner in the law firm of Brooks, Hines & Smith. He was originally from Greenville County, S.C. Lila Keith Smith (1890-1954) was a native of Wilmington. Their son, Julius Clarence Smith III (1922-2002) also was a lawyer. He retired as a senior partner with the Smith, Moore firm, now the local office of Fox Rothschild.
1015 Wharton Street
contract pending June 3, 2021
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,571 square feet
- Price/square foot: $202
- Built in 1921
- Listed June 1, 2021
- Last sale: $225,000, September 2005
- Note: Rental property
- The property is in the Fisher Park National Register Historic District, but Wharton Street is just outside the local historic district.
- The first owners of the house were Cecil J. Tinsley, a vice-president of Farmers & Mechanics Bank, and Jesse G. Bradshaw, a salesman for J.E. Latham Company, which sold them the property. Tinsley and Bradshaw used it as a rental property. By 1935, Tinsley, now a manufacturers representative, was the sole owner of the house and bankrupt. He claimed it with his homestead exemption, although he didn’t live there. He continued to rent it out until he sold it in 1944.
- In 1946, John Lloyd York (1912-1966) bought the house and lived there with his wife, Mary L. York. He was the office manager for Harry D. Kellett, the local Plymouth and Dodge dealer. He later operated his own auto sales business, which also employed his wife, Mary Louise Linville York (1910-1990), and son, John Jr. The deed was transferred to Mary in 1957; John Jr. sold the house in 1991.
- $279,900 (originally $425,000)
- 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,843 square feet (per county records)
- Price/square foot: $152
- Built in 1920
- Listed September 24, 2019
- Last sale: 1968, price not available in online records
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park
- Note: Asbestos siding
- Previously a rental, the house has been renovated since it was listed for sale in 2019.
904 Wharton Street
The Lorenzo and Albinia Winslow House
contract pending May 9, 2021
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,188 square feet (per county)
- Price/square foot: $153
- Built in 1928 (per county, but probably earlier, see note below)
- Listed May 7, 2021
- Last sale: $91,000, March 2000
- Neighborhood: Fisher Park (outside the local historic district)
- Note: The listing shows only 960 square feet.
- Lorenzo S. Winslow and his wife, Albinia D. Winslow, bought the property in 1923. The address first appears in the city directory that year, with the Winslows as residents. He was a draftsman for A.K. Moore Realty. They lost the house to foreclosure in 1936.