Updated April 16, 2021
611 Park Avenue
contract pending February 22, 2021
- $299,900 (originally $319,900)
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2,006 square feet
- Price/square foot: $150
- Listed as being built in 1925, but likely earlier (see note)
- Listed December 2, 2020
- Last sale: $119,460, May 2013
- Note: Property records and the district’s National Register nomination date the house to 1925, but city directories show the address as early as 1917. The owner of the property was Charles T. Smith, who lived next door at 613 Park, a house he built around 1911. 611 Park was apparently a rental until 1927, when it was bought by Frank and Louise Herbin. The Herbins owned it until 1957. He was a machinist.
425 E. Hendrix Street
The Charles Augustus Hendrix House
Blog post — The Charles Augustus Hendrix House: A Grand 1890s Mansion in Dunleath, $300,000
contract pending March 1, 2021
no longer under contract April 6, 2021
- $275,000 (originally listed at $300,000)
- 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, 3,255 square feet
- Price/square foot: $84
- Built around 1895
- Listed February 14, 2021
- Last sale: $50,000 plus unspecified balance of a mortgage, July 2007
- Note: The house has remained in the extended Hendrix family since it was built, owned successively by a daughter and son-in-law, grandson and great-granddaughter of Charles Hendrix.
- Although the photos indicate the house is in very livable shape, it’s priced like a fixer-upper. At least some of the floors need refinishing, and a new owner might well want to update the kitchen and bathrooms.
- County records show the date of the house as 1902, but the city directory shows brothers Charles and Edward Hendrix living there with their wives by 1896. The NRHP nomination for the Summit Avenue Historic District gives the date as 1895-99. The Hendrix brothers appear to have bought the property in the 1880s. Edward, a broker, died in 1919.
- Charles Augustus Hendrix (1862-1942) was identified in the 19th century as a farmer and horse trader, but later became a prominent contractor. His obituary credits him as the contractor for the Aycock school and Sedgefield Gold golf course and for the excavations for the Southeastern Building, the King Cotton Hotel and the original O. Henry Hotel. He was a founder of the Sedgefield Ride and Hunt Club and the North Carolina Fox Hunt Association.
605 Park Avenue
The Preddy House
Blog post — 605 Park Avenue: The 1920 Boyhood Home of the Preddy Brothers, Greensboro’s Great Heroes of World War II
contract pending April 1, 2021
- 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,756 square feet
- Price/square foot: $114
- Built in 1920
- Listed March 30, 2021
- Last sale: $136,000, July 2004
- Note: The boyhood home of Greensboro’s great heroes of World War II, fighter aces George and William Preddy.
- George E. Preddy Sr. (1889-1972) bought the property in 1919. The house is dated 1920 in county records, but George apparently rented the house out until 1928. He and his family lived first at 610 Park with his parents, George M. and Sarah, and George E.’s younger siblings Dale and Irene, and later renting the house at 607 Park. George was a Southern Railway conductor.
- George E. and wife Clara (1893-1974) had three children. Their daughter, Jonnice Carolyn, died in 1939. Both sons died in the war — George over the Battle of the Bulge on Christmas Day 1944 and William over Czechoslovakia the day before the war ended. Clara sold the house after George Sr. died in 1972.
608 Park Avenue
The Andrews House
contract pending February 15-27, 2021
contract pending March 3-21, 2021
contract pending March 28, 2021
- 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 1,428 square feet
- Price/square foot: $91
- Built in 1920
- Listed February 9, 2021
- Last sale: $142,500, January 1996 (one of three properties sold together, individual prices not broken out)
- Note: A house in desperate need of renovation, originally a single-family home, long ago divided into four apartments, all now vacant.
- Asbestos siding
- Eugene Andrews and his wife, Nellie, bought the property in 1921 and lived there for about two years. They sold it in 1923 to Eugene’s son, Bune Derwood Andrews, and moved to Chapel Hill. Bune apparently used the house as a rental property until he sold it in 1940. Eugene (1874-1940) and Bune (1896-1944) were embalmers. Bune worked for with Poole & Blue funeral home and ambulance service at 342 N. Elm Street.