Final update September 1, 2020
- 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,625 square feet
- Price/square foot: $189
- Built in 1910
- Listed August 20, 2021
- Last sale: $205,000, August 1998
- Note: Decades of neglect by landlords left the house in such deteriorated condition it was bought by the city Redevelopment Commission in 1985 as part of the revitalization effort in College Hill. Win and Anne Milam bought the house from the city and restored it. The Milams restored at least two other houses on South Mendenhall Street in the 1980 and early 90s.
904 W. Market Street, Apartment A4
The Powhatan Apartments
- 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 1,152 square feet
- Price/square foot: $126
- Built in 1927
- Listed June 25, 2021
- Last sale: $87,000, August 2007
- HOA: $270/month
- Neighborhood: College Hill Historic District
- Note: Rental unit
- For sale by owner
- The condos at 904 and 906 W. Market Street are the only properties on the north side of Market Street that are included in the College Hill Historic District.
- “The Powhatan Apartments were completed in 1927 at 904 West Market Street in College Hill. The elegant three-story brick building was an investment of Thomas A. Armstrong who lived nearby at 841 West Market Street.
- “Armstrong commissioned architect Harry Barton to design the initial 12-unit complex for a second phase to the west, which was completed in 1929. The expansion contained six units that were larger than the first phase.
- “The entire complex is united beneath a variegated red and beige tile roof, and includes limestone entryways and trim, and a heavy modillion cornice. Powhatan was the Native American father of legendary princess Pocahontas.” (Preservation Greensboro)
704 Spring Garden Street
listing withdrawn December 14, 2020 (previously for sale in a package with two other properties)
relisted December 15, 2020
contract pending August 23, 2021
- Triplex: 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,745 square feet (single-family home divided into three apartments)
- Price/square foot: $118
- Built in 1900
- Listed June 5, 2020
- Last sale: $150,000, July 2001
- Note: Originally a single-family home, the house was divided into three apartments decades ago.
- Single-family house divided into three 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartments, 2,037 square feet
- Price/square foot: $135
- Built in 1908
- Listed August 30, 2021
- Last sale: $170,000, February 2009
- Note: No central air conditioning