Few architects have been as historically prominent in Greensboro and across the state as Harry Barton. For more than 20 years until his death in 1937, he designed several of the Greensboro’s most notable buildings, including the UNCG Auditorium, the Quad and others on the campus; the Guilford County Courthouse; the Cone Export and Commission Building; First Presbyterian Church and the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant; and World War Memorial Stadium. His home designs ranged from the elaborate Italian Renaissance style of the Sigmund Sternberger house at 710 Summit Avenue to the relatively simple Effie M. Anderson House at 303 S. Mendenhall Street.
When he designed his own home, he created a classic. 104 Kemp Road West is a Mediterranean mansion sitting on Benjamin Lake in Hamilton Lakes. Barton had it built in 1925. For the first time since 1976, the home is for sale. The listing price is $1.65 million.
It’s a spectacular house, 4,000 square feet of impeccable design and high craftsmanship. It has four bedrooms and four and a half bathrooms. The roof is Italian tile. The lot is 0.65 acre. Overlooking the lake is a separate gym with a steam shower and hot tub. The price comes out to $410 per square foot. On a square-foot basis it’s probably the most expensive historic home now available in Greensboro and one of the most expensive in the Triad. Why not?